Saturday, October 01, 2005

School daze

Teaching season has finally begun for me! I'm currently substituting in three school districts, which is a fantastic way to get to see the range of schools around here. Each district has their own distinct characteristics.

One of them is extremely focused on optimum academic achievement. They rotate class periods in the middle school so that students don't get one subject at their worst time of the day all the time. It's an interesting concept.

Another district is so strapped for space that students attend in three shifts. The taxpayers refuse to vote for a bond issue that would pay for new buildings, so these poor kids may get stuck in school until 6:30 at night. The worst part is that the late session of students is treated like they are less worthy than the others, so they act accordingly. It's a shame.

Still getting a feel for the third district, but I'll be there more this upcoming week. So far they're the most like where I was a student teacher, and I was very comfortable. I'll be working with 9th grade English students on Monday, which will be a treat!

It's wonderful to be back in a classroom, but disorienting to be in so many!

2 comments:

Lynx said...

I'm glad you have a few districts to choose from! They sound interesting--which ones are they? (send me email if you don't want to post it here).

Also (on a different topic), you've made me a convert! I tried the first Carmen Electra striptease routine, and loved it--I now have three of her DVD's! I'm working on the chair routine, and Tony just can't get the smile off his face. Thank you for getting me to try something new! As usual, it pays to listen to your local rabbi.

christine mtm said...

so glad that you are teaching!!!