Thursday, December 08, 2005

Severe catching up to do!

  1. My grandmother is doing surprisingly well in her new surroundings! She's getting much more stimulation with her activities than she was sitting in a chair all day with a Boston Terrier perched on her lap. She's even reading a little again and taking an interest in her old passion for flowers (she used to be an amazing florist, particularly with orchids). She'll never regain her ability to remember who her family is, but I'm happy enough that she's not on the brink of totally fading away for the time being.
  2. Thanksgiving with Pros' father was a warm, lovely event. He lives with his new wife (more than ten years isn't so new, but you get the point) in an amazing place in Virginia. I don't remember the last time I was so relaxed, which says a lot about how much I'm looking forward to being part of this family.
  3. Got to spend some time with Cats this past month! This made my year, since we live so far apart and see each other so rarely. She's been having the worst kind of pain watching her son suffer with development delays that may or may not have been caused by lead poisoning. I don't pray often these days, but for her Silent Prince and her Princess Kitten of a daughter, I do.
  4. Teaching prospects for next year are looking rather thin. From what I have heard, the market is already saturated, and now Columbus City Schools are looking to lay off teachers and close schools. I'm heavily considering talking to a couple of school districts about whether they would sponsor me for an emergency certificate in Special Education if they would hire me full time. My father talked me out of this line of education before, but he doesn't live nearby and doesn't pay our bills. It's time to figure out how I'm going to help with my share of the work.
  5. Wedding countdown!!! We're entering the six month stretch, and I'm getting a little frazzled on the stupid details. Still need to find a band (which Pros says he'll do since he's the former jazz trumpeter), florist, baker, and place to stay for the weekend. Pros' family has also handed over rehearsal dinner decisions to me, which is something I hadn't planned on doing, but we have a tentative reservation anyway. Am I the only bride who hates planning the wedding and just wants to be married already?

2 comments:

The Surtsey Islander said...

It's good to hear from you again... was a little worried there. Here's hoping you are not stuck in all the snow I see flying around outside my window right now.

Good luck with your job search... I know a couple of teachers who are trying to get into Westerville schools right now and I will let you know how it goes for them, how easy they find it, etc. Westerville apparently has a very good special ed program too...

Lynx said...

I'm glad your grandmother is doing better--stimulation makes a BIG difference with all illnesses.

It's awful they're laying teachers off in Columbus! I'm actually surprised this is the case! I hope you can get your special ed certificate and find your way back into that classroom you told me about--sounds like a good place to be.

I do remember begging Tony to just run off to Vegas with me so we wouldn't have to worry about the hooplah of the marriage. I felt married to him, anyway (maybe that's a sign we were a good couple!). It was Tony who inisted that if he was gonna settle down, he'd better have a ceremony of some sort:).

Speaking of celebrating love, that reminds me--you've got a batchelorette party that I've been planning--would cats email me so that we can start the plotting process?