Thursday, February 16, 2006

Confessions of a reality tv addict

Hello, my name is Jacklyn, and I'm a reality television addict.

It could be worse. I could watch any and all of these show. Oh, who am I kidding?

It started when I was a kid and the poison was the closely related genre of game shows. My grandmother and I would watch Tic-Tac-Dough and The Price is Right while playing Go Fish and War. It's probably fortunate that the addiction formed wasn't to poker after all the card games we played. Once I was a little older, the fascination of Dating Game and Newlywed Game caught my attention (I wondered why they didn't show Divorce Court right afterwards), but this just wasn't satisfying.

Then, The Real World hit the airwaves. I was hooked, wanting to befriend Julie and / or meet up with Andre. Thankfully, my attempt to join Season 3 of the show failed, but I happened to be a Neilson Ratings Family when it aired. You're welcome. Unfortunately, the shows never quite made it to the delicate combination of pathos and sensitivity that season had. Okay, I'm not counting anything Puck did with the sensitive side, but you get the idea. My interest waned.

Then, the Writer's Guild strike. It cost a cousin of mine a shot at writing for her own television show, but considering it was Fish Police, this isn't a big loss. However, this is when I was given such shows as The Bachelor (which made my own dating life look calm) The Mole (the only show since Real World that I wanted to be on, but it was cancelled stupidly) and Who Wants to Marry My Dad (which made me cringe that I was getting to the age of the contestants). Survivor took a little more time to grow on me due to my distaste for CBS in general, but has now pulled me in for the majority of the shows.

What am I addicted to now?


  • The Bachelor is a must for Monday nights. For some reason, I love that show so much that when I wanted to drop a BIG hint that I wanted to marry Pros, I asked, "Will you accept this final rose?" It worked.
  • Tuesdays are, at the moment, quiet. We usually watch reruns of Babylon 5 on DVD (something I highly recommend, even a decade after the original airing).
  • Wednesdays occasionally have me checking out The Biggest Loser, but not so much until the full fledged season returns. However, I am living for Project Runway! Not as much fun as last season, but not all shows are lucky to have JayMcCarroll.
  • Survivor on Thursdays. Enough said.

Feel free to make fun of my tastes, but also feel free to buy me a copy of The Mole on DVD.

1 comment:

Lynx said...

I'd make fun of it, but you actually got me to watch the batchelorette and I enjoyed it, so, well--hey, I guess I'll have to respect your addiction:).

Hope your weekend went well in Philly!

Lynx