Thursday, August 25, 2005

Changes, changes, changes

My, I let things go for a week or so and so many things happen! This is why I've always had trouble keeping a diary. Let's see how I can manage to catch things up...
  • Visit from my parents was wonderful! I had been worried that they might be critical of how I still have some boxes around and none of our artwork is on the walls, but they were just impressed that the house was neat and clean (we have to keep it that way due to Pros' horrible allergies to Pandora the Wonder Kitty). We took them to a few of the best restaurants in town and gave a driving tour of the local college campus. Unfortunately, my mother's health kept us from doing too much walking, but she seemed to enjoy everything she could see. Saturday night dinner with our friends was the best night. Dad was almost in performance mode, he was so charming! Considering we had a six year old and two bottles of wine at the table, there were no disasters. They also realized that we need no housewarming gifts because we're drowning in possessions, so we got $200 to help make ends meet.
  • Speaking of cash, I've just taken a second part-time job, once again at a place that will benefit me in ways other than just financially. I'll be at Curves, which is a workout center for women only (the guys just wouldn't enjoy the stuff, so it isn't exactly discriminatory). At first, I was a little worried about working at a place that is known for having a Xtian agenda, but the owner is much more about health issues than picketing Planned Parenthood. With luck, this will allow me to leave the wine shop when it starts to get dangerous to walk to my car at night at the end of the night.
  • There's a mess going on at my college radio station. I'm going to get much more into detail about it on my group blog (Dandelionfiles), but the jist of it is that a local PBS station is trying to take over this frequency and shove the students off the air in favor of an NPR format. To make it worse, there's already an NPR station in town (started by WMUH alum) that would be shafted if this went through. I'm currently helping with the rabblerousing to keep the college from killing one of the best hands-on communications programs they have.
Whew! This is what I get for waiting so long to update!

2 comments:

christine mtm said...

glad to hear your folks are good. send them more of my love!

Lynx said...

Hey you! It was great seeing you last weekend! Up for visiting again?