Monday, August 01, 2005

Dog days of flat broke summer

It's getting terribly tight here financially. When I originally agreed to move here, it was with the understanding that I'd have a summer job waiting for me that I could keep part time. It fell through about a month before my arrival, far too late for me to put my moving plans on hold. I'd forgotten how frightening it is to be underemployed! I'm only working about 20 hours a week for $10 an hour. Granted, the cost of living here is low, but I'm in the uncomfortable position of deciding what bills I can afford to pay. Pros is working a summer internship, but he's been sick on and off and is now only working four days a week so he can concentrate on the beginning research for his thesis.

My greatest source of relief is remembering that my substitute teaching orientation is a week from tomorrow. I don't know how long I can handle such a small amount of take-home pay, especially when Pros will have a major gap between his final pay from his internship and his first stipend check from the University. May have to figure out a way to put next month's rent on a credit card or something.

Ah well, these are the times that make or break couples starting out a new life together. Marriage isn't always going to be smooth, so this cohabitational tightness is good practice.

I'm going to stop typing for a while and go downstairs to spend some time with the person who makes this all worthwhile.

No comments: