Friday, September 09, 2005

Aging

Last night I came home from dinner with some of Pros' gal pals from the University. They were a ball! One of them was amazing with wine tasting even though she claimed she didn't like a lot of what she tasted. Her palate was one I envied. We talked about food and dating and all the things most discuss on a girls' night out. Only once did I mention the fact that I had at about a decade of years on them. There is a definite difference between 20somethings and 30somethings, but it isn't something that usually would come up over a silly night of pasta and porto.

When I was getting ready for bed that night, I thought of something funny said that evening and grinned in the mirror. The image staring back at me had crow's feet I had never seen on my own face, and the smile quickly vanished. The lines didn't seem to stop at my eyes but ran down the length of my face, rows of tiny wrinkles that hadn't been there only weeks before. For someone who loves passing for seven years younger than my age, this alarmed me. Yes, it's a horrid kind of vanity, but it's also a tremble of mortality that left me marked.

One thing is for sure. I will continue to smile. I'm a happy person, damnit!

2 comments:

christine mtm said...

i remember finding spots on my body and yelling at my mom for not warning me what happens we we get older.

Lynx said...

Lady, you still look younger than you are--and personally, I find people without laugh lines to be somewhat creepy--they turn me off. Whatever happened to the idea that some lines added CHARACTER to a face?